Sharing in the belief that education is the key to progress, development and economic growth, ExxonMobil and Dr. Bernard Harris Jr. have developed a partnership to increase awareness about the need for more math and science graduates, especially among underrepresented populations. The ExxonMobil Bernard Harris Math and Science Scholarship is the latest effort to support students who plan to pursue math‐ and science‐related degrees. The scholarships, named in recognition of Dr. Bernard A. Harris, Jr., serve underrepresented students pursuing careers in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. As a former astronaut, physician and businessman, Dr. Harris is an outstanding role model dedicated to serving as a mentor to the scholarship recipients.
READ ABOUT THE 2013 PROGRAM HERE.
DOWNLOAD THE 2013 APPLICATION HERE.
Each year, a total of four scholarships will be awarded. Targeting African American and Hispanic students, two male and two female awardees will be given $5,000 each. The scholarship will be paid to the university of the student’s choice and can be applied to tuition and related expenses for the upcoming collegiate year.
Scholarship applicants should:
- Identify as African-American or Hispanic
- Attend a school in a Council of Great City Schools district (see link below)
- Be completing their senior year of high school
- Have been accepted to a four year university for full-time enrollment
- Be pursuing a science, technology, engineering or mathematics degree
- Demonstrate academic achievement in high school, leadership skills and/or community service in the area of science, technology, engineering or mathematics
- Have an unweighted GPA of at least 3.0
Please note: No person may receive more than one award administered by the Council of the Great City Schools in the same academic year. Employees or immediate family members of employees of ExxonMobil, The Harris Foundation, or the Council of the Great City Schools are not eligible to apply for these scholarships.
READ MORE ABOUT THE 2012 WINNERS BY CLICKING HERE.