The ExxonMobil Bernard Harris Summer Science Camp (EMBHSSC) is a two-week residential camp hosted at colleges and universities across the nation. In summer 2017, The Harris Foundation (THF), in partnership with the ExxonMobil Foundation, will host residential camps held during the months of June-August. Each camp provided an average of 40 rising 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students the opportunity to enhance their proficiency in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education while living on a college campus - all at no cost to the child or family.
The core STEM curriculum is integrated with field excursions and other educational experiences that enrich students’ understanding of the practical relationships between classroom work and the real world. Communication and teamwork are integral parts of the students’ camp experience. Evening counseling sessions provide opportunities for discussion of students’ academic, career and social issues. Students engage in an array of extracurricular activities during the non-class time.
Each campsite will have 50% female and 50% male participants representing each targeted grade level. Through its innovative, student-centered, inquiry-based curriculum, campers will complete a minimum of 56 hours of advanced STEM study taught by highly qualified educators from area school districts and university faculty.
Student Selection Criteria
To be eligible to apply, students should:
• Be members of a traditionally underserved and underrepresented population;
• Be entering 6th, 7th or 8th grade in the fall of 2017;
• Have a GPA of at least “B” overall in mathematics and science;
• Score at the median to superior level on standardized mathematics and science tests;
• Write a 250-word essay describing their interest in the camp and STEM;
• Be interviewed, if deemed necessary;
• Have exhibited an interest in mathematics and science; and
• Have strong recommendations from their current mathematics and science teachers.
Click on each dot below for more information on each campsite's recruitment area, application deadline dates and more. For more information on an individual camp site, please contact the site's director.